Monday, August 13, 2007

Sculpture Show


I was kind of surprised when Laina told me that she wanted to go to the sculpture show this year. I hadn't been to it for a couple of years, so I thought that it would be fun. The kids did really well and for the first hour really enjoyed looking at the artwork. (then the I'm hungries kicked in) When we would see an abstract sculpture I would ask Laina what she thought it looked like. Most of the time the answer was "a frog", so she was delighted when we came upon a GIANT frog statue that looked so real I could almost envision fried frog legs.

This year I decided to go to the show by the high school as well. There were some huge sculptures there and some really talented artists. I really liked the artwork of J. Chester Armstrong because he worked with wood. I don't think that I have ever seen such amazing, lifelike wood carvings.

I also really appreciated the ingenuity of Bill Secunda. He had several life-size animal sculptures made entirely of welded nails. They were really impressive.

Of course Laina and Ethan most loved the sculptures that involved water, especially since it was 98 degrees outside. I knew it was time to call it a day when I caught Laina practically bathing in a fountain and Ethan began reaching out his hands trying to grab things.

We ended our day at the park by thanking God that He gave the artists such skill and us the eyes to appreciate it.

No comments: